The mind is a powerful tool to assist men in doing daily activities normally and adequately. Concept mapping is an efficient equipment that uses the mind in order to enhance different types of learning and thinking which are required in schools and universities. In order to make a map, you have to write down the main idea on the center of the page.
The central idea may be in terms of a phrase or word that is placed at the center and wait for drops of branches grow around it that represents sub-ideas which have grew out of the central idea. Concept mapping is a useful technique in taking down notes and being represented in a graph. Concept networks are referred to as knowledge maps. The different networks usually consist of links and nodes. Links are the ones representing the relationship between different concepts and nodes are the ones representing the different concepts.
Concepts are sometimes linked with labels. Links can be in forms of uni-directional, bi-directional, or non-directional. Generally, links and concepts can be categorized in such a way that they can be specified, associated and divided in categories like temporal or even causal relations.
Why concept mapping?
1. It can generate numerous ideas like brainstorming
2. It can design a more complex idea that makes sense
3. It can communicate ideas which are complicated and complex
4. It can assess one’s understanding and even diagnose for any misunderstanding
5. It can help learning through explicitly integrating old and new knowledge